Once you've created a CV you can use the following checklist.
Place an X next to each of the following characteristics that your CV has. Make adjustments to your CV as needed.
Content of my CV
○ My CV contains only the information which is relevant to the job for which I am applying.
○ Each element of my CV serves to increase my chances of getting a job interview.
If requested by the employer in the job
offer, my CV includes a
passport photo which is a businesslike photo.
Style of my CV
○ My CV is no longer than 2 pages in length.
○ Only positive words are used in my CV (avoid ‘did not pass training course’).
○ My CV contains clearly defined sections (such as education, work experience, etc.).
○ My CV is well-organised: enough space is provided to separate the different sections.
○ My CV contains no grammatical errors or unusual abbreviations.
○ My CV contains mainly short and ‘active’ sentences.
○ My CV is easy to read. My CV is drawn up according to capitalisation and punctuation rules.
○ My CV uses a standard, professional-looking font (Times New Roman, Arial, etc.). I only handwrite my CV if requested to do so by the employer in the job offer.
○ My CV stands out but doesn’t go overboard. My CV matches my personality.
○ My CV has been proofread by someone else.
○ I am sending my CV to the employer along with a covering letter.