- Be yourself: don’t try to fool either yourself or your
future employer. Do not include any qualities or characteristics in your letter
that you do not possess.
- Always keep a copy of your letter and take it with you
to the job interview, along with a copy of the job offer and your CV. That way
you can go back and see exactly what you wrote to the employer.
Applying for a job by email
- Use a
neutral-sounding email address, such as: Jos.Schepers@hotmail.com.
‘Snoopy@hotmail.com’ does not come across as very professional!
- In the subject line, clearly state the job you are
applying for, as well as any number referenced in the job offer.
- In the body of
the email, specify the position within the company for which you are applying
and reference the attached CV and covering letter. Also, clearly state your name.
Below you will find a number of sentences you can use for inspiration when
writing the introduction, the middle and the conclusion of your email message.
- Be sure to use
a formal writing style in your email. No smiley faces or abbreviations!
- Include your letter as an attachment when sending the
email. Give this document a straightforward name, such as ‘Covering letter Jos
- Never send the same letter to more than
one company. Send a different email to each company.
- BCC (Blind
Carbon Copy) yourself so that you can make sure that everything was properly
sent and received.
- Regularly check your email so that you are in a
position to respond quickly when an employer sends you an email.
responding to an email, make sure that your initial email (the original
message) is still included at the bottom of your email and that the subject
line still applies. This way the employer will know immediately what the email
A number of sample sentences that can provide you with
inspiration when writing an email message:
when applying for a job:
- I found the job offer for xxx on the (VDAB) website and was immediately interested. I would like to apply for this job.
- While reading the xxx, your job offer seeking motivated applicants for xxx caught my eye. I would like to apply for this job, as I am very interested in this position.
- Your job offer indicates that the position offers a great deal of variety. I have a flexible attitude and I work well under pressure.
Introduction when applying for a job:
- I would like to
introduce myself by means of the attached curriculum vitae and covering letter.
- I would like to
take this opportunity to submit my application for the position of xxx.
- Allow me to introduce myself…
- Earlier today I
was informed by Mr xxx about an opening for xxx in your organisation. I would
like to submit an application for this position.
Middle of the
- I am currently training to become a xxx at the VDAB in
xxx. In addition to having knowledge of xxx, I am also familiar with xxx.
- My skill set includes taking the initiative, technical
aptitude and perseverance. For more information, I would refer you to my
covering letter and curriculum vitae, which are attached.
- With a thorough knowledge of xxx, combined with
technical aptitude and perseverance, I am able to successfully carry through on
the duties assigned to me.
- The prospect of working in a ‘dynamic’ enterprise such
as xxx definitely interests me.
- The education I have received closely matches the job responsibilities
you describe, which sound highly engaging.
- A customer-friendly attitude, meticulousness,
resilience under pressure and perseverance: these are the qualities which best
describe my character.
the email message:
- I would welcome
the opportunity to further discuss my interest in this position in person.
- I am very
interested in this opportunity and would be happy to schedule an interview in
which to further discuss this position.
- I would of
course be happy to further demonstrate my enthusiasm and motivation for this
position in a personal interview.
- Should you be
interested in learning more about me, I would be happy to provide you with more
information in the course of a personal interview.
- Are you willing
to give my application further consideration? If so, I would be willing to come
by for a personal interview in order to tell you more about myself.