More on the VDAB

What is the VDAB?

Every region in Belgium has a public employment service. The VDAB is the public employment service of Flanders (official language: Dutch).

The VDAB was founded in 1989 in order to make the labour market in Flanders as transparent and dynamic as possible. With a view to reaching that goal, the VDAB offers employment services, training and career guidance.

What can the VDAB do for me?

Are you allowed to live and work in Belgium? In that case, the VDAB can help you in many ways.

  • - Are you looking for a job in Belgium?
    • On you will find thousands of job offers. Browse the vacancies.
    • You can publish your CV on for employers to read it and contact you. If you understand Dutch, you can publish your CV yourself on the website.  Attention: if you have no national number in Belgium, you can only publish your CV through 'Dossiermanager' (and not through 'Your application space'). 
      You can also create a CV on, where Belgian employers can easily contact you with suitable vacancies. Would you like personal assistance in your search for a job? A consultant can offer you guidance.

  • - Do you want to follow training in Belgium?
    • For instance in order to brush up your Dutch or to learn a certain profession? That is possible. The VDAB offers many training courses.
    • If you understand Dutch, you can have a look for yourself in the training data base. Or you can contact a VDAB consultant.

  • - Do you want to apply for unemployment benefit in Belgium?
    • Are you unemployed and do you meet the conditions (e.g.: have you worked in Belgium, are you from a country that signed an international agreement with Belgium...), then you are entitled to unemployment benefits. It is the RVA (National Employment Office) who decides whether you will receive benefits.

    • In order to apply for unemployment benefit, you need to register as a job seeker at the employment service in your region. Do you live in Flanders, do you have a national number and do you understand Dutch? Then you can register online at the VDAB. If this is not the case, contact a VDAB consultant. Do you live in:

      • the Brussels-Capital Region, contact ACTIRIS.
      • the Walloon Region, contact Le FOREM.
      • the German Community, contact ADG